My first kayaking experience was in Dubrovnik, Croatia and I thought to myself “I kind of like this”.
Fast forward 15 months to my mother and I in Thailand. Specifically, we’re on Ko Phaluai. According to our guide, Leo filmed scenes from The Beach here, although I have found no evidence on Google to back that up.
The activity was part of a day-long tour that we did of Antong National Marine Park.
10 Things I thought while kayaking:
- How do you get into this thing?
- We’re definitely going to get into a fight.
- This is a nice view.
- Oh my, we’re going to hit that other kayak.
- Why does this thing keep veering to the right?
- But this view…
- Ok, crossing this big part of open water, let’s try not to get hit by a boat.
- We’re actually pretty good at this.
- My arms hurt
- We didn’t fight!
The overall experience was quite fun. Mom and I didn’t hurt each other or anyone else, which is cause for celebration.
As a running theme for the entire day, our boat managed to get to the island relatively early. There was a slight wait for the kayaks while previous groups finished, but it wasn’t a huge deal. By the time we left, however, more boats had pulled in and there was an overflow of people – travel experiences are never as much fun when you have to share them with hundreds of other people.
Final thoughts – I would do this again. Plus I found my athletic calling. 2020 Olympics here I come!